top of page

How to clear your record now that marijuana is legal in Illinois

By Julie Trevarthen-Escarcida

Have you or someone you know ever been arrested for possessing marijuana? If so, the new Illinois law allows you to clear your record.

If you were arrested for possession of up to 500 grams of marijuana, we can petition the Court for an expungement. Although the State of Illinois is set to start automatically expunging convictions for possession of 30 grams or less, they aren’t required to have this completed for five years.

If you would like to have your record cleared NOW rather than waiting around for the State to make things right, an attorney can file a petition for you right away. Having an attorney represent you helps you receive the most beneficial outcome possible.

Make sure you understand the choices you are making and feel empowered to make them by reaching out.


Contact Julie at (630) 852-1100 to make an appointment or email her at

About the author:

Julie Trevarthen-Escarcida's practice at Mulyk Laho Law, LLC is concentrated in Criminal and Real Estate. Prior to becoming a criminal defense attorney, Julie spent over eight years as an Assistant State’s Attorney, where she had the opportunity to prosecute thousands of cases, ranging from traffic cases to first degree murder.

Julie ended her prosecutorial career as a deputy chief in the felony division, where she had the opportunity to handle thousands of offenses, including, but not limited to murder, home invasion, armed robbery, drug offenses, weapons offenses and predatory criminal sexual assault.

As a prosecutor, Julie worked as an Assistant State’s Attorney in Kendall, Kane and DeKalb counties and as a law student, she worked for the State’s Attorney’s Office in both Cook and DuPage counties.

Julie has been featured on CNN, Fox News, CBS 48 Hours, Headline News and in publications across the country. In 2019 she was nominated to the National Trial Lawyers TOP 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys.

Reach out to Julie at (630) 852-1100 to make an appointment or email her at


bottom of page