In a world of mass-produced skincare products, there's something truly special about small-batch skincare. At Chanla Chau Cosmetics, we believe in the power of fresh, handcrafted skincare that takes time to create. In this article, I want to share with you why small-batch skincare takes time and why it's worth the wait. I'll also discuss the importance of shopping for fresh skincare and remind you to order when you're down to 25% of your product.
Trust me, it's worth it.
One of the reasons I decided to go small-batch is because I remember working at a major cosmetic retailer and grabbing products for many customers over the years. When I grabbed them, they were WARM from the lights and there was a BIG of film of dust on the jars and containers.
How old was that product?
How long has it been sitting under that hot light collecting dust?
When was it made?
Did it sit in a box or warehouse for a long time before being sent out?
I now know that products break down over time, and being under hot lights speeds up that process. Formulas change over time, daily environment can make a big impact on your overall product. And don’t get me started on the high percentage of toxic preservatives big box companies put in their products to keep them “fresh for years."
So let’s jump in!
Here are 5 reasons small batch is the way to go.
1. Quality Ingredients: When it comes to small-batch skincare, quality is my top priority. I carefully select premium, natural ingredients that are sourced sustainably. I work directly with suppliers to ensure the highest quality ingredients, and this process takes time. I don’t order 100 pounds of oil because it would go rancid by the time I went through it all. I order in smaller sizes knowing the ingredients are still fresh and effective by the time I can use them. By using fresh, high-quality ingredients, my small-batch skincare products deliver exceptional results for your skin.
2. Handcrafted with Care: I take the time to formulate, mix, and pour each batch myself. This hands-on approach ensures that every product meets my strict quality standards. While it may take a bit longer than mass production, I believe that the extra care and attention result in a superior product for you.
3. Toxic-Free Formulations: I am committed to creating toxic-free formulations for my skincare products. Instead of relying on synthetic preservatives, I use natural alternatives or focus on creating products with shorter shelf lives. This commitment to freshness means that your skincare products are free from potentially harmful chemicals and are at their peak efficacy when you receive them. This is why I recommend you use your products within 3-6 months of getting them depending on the product.
4. The Importance of Freshness: Freshness is key when it comes to skincare. Just like food, the potency and effectiveness of skincare ingredients can diminish over time. By shopping for fresh skincare, you ensure that you're getting the most out of the active ingredients in your products. When you order from me, I make sure to create your products in small batches, so you receive them at their freshest. They are days old when you receive them and are ready to do their magic.
5. Order in Advance: To avoid running out of your favorite skincare products, I recommend ordering when you're down to 25% of your current supply. Since I create each batch by hand, it may take 3-4 weeks for your order to be ready depending on when you order, when production takes place, and how much stock I have. Trust me, the wait is worth it. You'll receive a freshly made product that is tailored to your skin's needs.
My batches are getting bigger which means cooling time is taking longer. This is one of the reasons lead times are stretched out. I don’t make big batches and have products sitting for weeks or months before being shipped out. I’d rather you get a new product than an old one so I create small batches that will likely sell out, then make another batch.
Small-batch skincare takes time, but the results are truly worth it. By using quality ingredients, handcrafting each product with care, and prioritizing freshness, I ensure that you receive the best possible skincare experience. So, remember to order in advance and embrace the beauty of small-batch skincare.
Your skin will thank you for it!
Remember, your products are just days old when you get them. It doesn’t get any fresher than that.
About the Author:
Chanla Chau worked for a major cosmetic retailer for years and saw the constant need and want for natural skin care that wasn’t being met by companies in big stores.
Once she left her full-time job to stay home with her 2 children she put all her focus on her family but realized she missed the connection with customers and helping with their skin and with that she decided to do something for herself and her skin and eyebrow existing clients.
She also needed that quiet time to herself, time doing something just for her, something she loved. Chanla started countless hours of research and created a few simple products.
Little did she know that those products would impact people's skin leaving them wanting more. And so she did just that, gave them more. Discover Chanla's all-natural, plant-based, and vegan skincare line at chanlachaucosmetics.com
This article was originally published on the Chanla Chau Cosmetics blog.
*This post contains affiliate links, so MDW may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site. All commission goes directly back to MDW community initiatives like Moms Support Group, Saturday Expert Series Presentations, and donations to local women's organizations.